Program Director Search Begins
March 13, 2013
Continuing to build core staff, APTrust is looking for a dynamic individual to be Program Director. See the Program Director job description for more information. To apply, visit the UVa [email protected] site , and search under University Staff positions.
[Record update: This position was filled by Suzanne Thorin, who served in the role for one year (2013-2014)]
JOB DESCRIPTION: Program Director, Academic Preservation Trust
The Academic Preservation Trust (APTrust) [www.aptrust.org] is an innovative consortium committed to creation and management of a sustainable environment for digital preservation and aggregate repository services for academic and research content. Community collaboration is central to APTrust’s operating philosophy. The Program Director will work closely with the APTrust Advisory Group to lead its evolving, ambitious vision, and to grow the existing project into a trusted preservation solution. The Director will be responsible for building APTrust into a self-supporting, full-service entity by developing partner relationships and leveraging participation of APTrust members.
APTrust currently has 12 academic research partner libraries from across the country. The University of Virginia Library is leading the incubation of APTrust’s services: 1) a repository for long-term preservation of content; 2) a replicating node for the Digital Preservation Network (DPN); and 3) future services that may include disaster recovery, format migration, or hosted repositories. APTrust will leverage the resources of the existing preservation community to promote collaborative solutions and best practices in digital preservation.
Provide strategic vision
- Articulate a “big picture” vision for APTrust, conveying its value and impact to the scholarly community and beyond.
- Work closely with the APTrust community on near-term and long-term strategic goals.
- Identify steps to achieve goals on a predictable timeline, and communicate progress with the wider community on a regular basis.
- Measure and evaluate outcomes.
- Develop and gain support for a business model that will sustain the project following the start-up period.
Lead successful operations
- Build a dynamic and effective core team, augmented by contributors from consulting agencies and/or member institutions.
- Manage projects and staff to ensure timely implementation of products and services.
- Plan and manage budgets, fund raising, and business operations.
- Determine outreach needs to local institutions and ensure appropriate assistance for ingesting and managing content stored in APTrust.
- Provide regular status and financial reports to the advisory group and the broader membership.
Coordinate outreach and communication
- Actively promote APTrust, DPN, and the wider cause of digital preservation to the scholarly community and other key stakeholders.
- Develop effective communication mechanisms for continued engagement with member institutions and enrolling new members from the greater community.
- Seek out and engage in collaborations that will leverage resources and expertise for the advancement of digital preservation.
Skills and Competencies
- A Masters degree with at least 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience in higher education and / or business.
- Excellent project management skills and demonstrated success with managing teams working in disparate locations.
- Entrepreneurial skills, especially the ability to successfully promote innovative concepts and enroll stakeholders in new solutions.
- Strong ability to think and act strategically, and demonstrated success at bringing concepts to realization.
- Experience with digital preservation issues and solutions and working with libraries and/or IT organizations.
- Analytical skills in crafting successful funding and business models for innovative projects.
- Able to communicate effectively both in person and virtually using a variety of technologies.
To apply: Submit a cover letter stating your interest in the position, a CV, and references. The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.